- Jessie Hui Wang, "ISPs' Traffic Engineering and Peering Strategies", PhD Thesis, 2004-2007.
Currently associate professor, Tsinghua University.
- Yan Hu, "Intelligent Traffic Monitoring, Analysis and Classification",
PhD Thesis, 2005-2008. First at NECLab/Beijing, now working for Google in the US.
- Xingang Shi, "Efficient Tracking of Significant Communication Patterns in Computer Networks",
PhD Thesis, 2007-2011, Research Engineer, Tsinghua University
- Yi Peng Zhou, "Models for Analyzing P2P Streaming Networks",
M.Phil Thesis 2006-2008. "Modeling and Analysis of P2P VoD Systems", PhD Thesis 2009-2012. Assistant Professor at Shenzhen University starting 2013, now a lecturer at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Tom ZJ Fu, "Performance Metrics, Configuration Strategies and Traffic Identification for Group Network Applications", M.Phil Thesis 2006-2009. "The Academic Social Network and Research Ranking System, PhD Thesis 2009-2013. Research Scienctist at ADSC (Singapore).
- Liang Chen, "User Behavior and Resource Allocation in Online Video Services", PhD Thesis 2009-2013. Assistant Professor at Shenzhen University; recently moved to Tencent.
- Yan Wu, "Data Mining and Modeling of the Academic Community", PhD Thesis 2011-2015. Tencent (Shenzhen).
- Jiqiang Wu, "Modeling and Predicting Online Video Popularity", PhD Thesis 2010-2016. Research staff at TCL (Hong Kong).
- Chunfeng Yang, "Improving Collaborative Video Recommendation: Methods Addressing Data Sparcity", PhD Thesis 2012-2017. Tencent (Shenzhen)
- Lei Zhan, "Data Driven Analysis, Modeling and Policy Design for Energy Efficiency in Smart Buildings", PhD Thesis 2011-2017. Postdoc at CUHK; recently joined ASTRI.
- Suiming Guo, "Dynamic Price and its Effects in Ride-on-demand Services: Measurement, Modelling and Prediction", PhD Thesis 2013-2018. Joined Jinan University (Guangzhou).
- Qiufang Ying, "User Modeling and Usage Profiling in OSN and Game Platforms", PhD Thesis 2012-2018. Tencent (Shenzhen)
- Angus Wing Kai Lin, "Analysis of Distributed Participation and Replication Strategies in P2P
Systems", M.Phil Thesis, 2003-2005. Currently working for Macquarie, on algorithmic trading.
- Adrian Sai-wah Tam, "A Study of the Co-existence of Heterogeneous Flows in Data Networks",
M.Phil Thesis, 2003-2006. After PhD from Polytech/NYU, currently working in US.
- Yan Gao, "Determining the Throughput Capacity of IEEE 802.11-based Wireless Networks:
Methodology and Applications", M.Phil Thesis, 2004-2006. After PhD (UIUC),
working for Accenture in Beijing; now with LinkedIn in US.
- Humphrey Chun Kong Cheng, "Towards Efficient Distributed Search in a Peer-to-Peer Network",
M.Phil Thesis, 2004-2006. After graduation, doing a start-up in Hong Kong.
- Chong Ye, "Peer-to-peer Replication to Improve File Availability", M.Phil Thesis,
2005-2007. First job: Oracle; currently, HP in China.
- Steven Chi Hang Wong, "Real-time Network Traffic Classification", M.Phil Thesis,
2005-2007. First job, working for an ISP (HK Broadband) in Hong Kong.
- Tony Zheng Yi Zhang, "An Adaptive Distributed Algorithm for Path Aggregation",
M.Phil Thesis 2005-2007. First job, ASM Hong Kong.
- Yang Cheung, "Modelling and Analysis of Internet Pricing and Revenue Distribution",
M.Phil Thesis 2006-2008. First at Yahoo HK/Taiwan; now at Google in US.
- Yongzhi Wang, "Design and Evaluation of Load Balancing Algorithms in P2P Streaming",
M.Phil Thesis 2007-2009. now working for LinkedIn China.
- Lu Jia, "A Study of Peer-to-Peer Systems",
M.Phil Thesis 2007-2009. Got PhD from Delft University of Technology, now teaching in Beijing.
- Qian Wang, "A Study of ISP Pricing",
M.Phil Thesis 2007-2009. Alibaba, China.
- Jian Liu, "A Study of Matching Mechanisms",
M.Phil Thesis 2008-2010. Tencent, China.
- Sam Guosen Feng, "Bargaining and Peering between Network Content/Coverage Providers", M.Phil Thesis 2009-2011. First job, working at a bank.
- Qianqian Song, "Similarity and Comparison of Academic Ranking Algorithms",
M.Phil Thesis 2010-2012. First working as software engineer in Shenzhen, now working for Lane Crawford in Hong Kong.
- Jingjing Wang, "Paid Prioritization and Its Implications on Network Neutrality", M.Phil Thesis 2010-2013. First job, Accenture Hong Kong, then Beijing.
Past postdocs and visiting PhD students:
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan, from India Institute of Science (May - Nov 2014). Co-authored work on academic social networks. Joined Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Lab of Virginia Tech, then Univ of Virginia.
- Yuedong Xu (2012-13). Co-authored a paper on video streaming QoE.
Currently working as Assistant Professor at Fudan University
- Jose Manuel Camacho, visiting PhD student from UC3M, Spain (Jun-Dec 2012). Co-authored a paper on energy-sensitive load balacning.
- Jihyoun Park, Postdoc from Univ of Seoul (2011 - 2012). Co-authored a paper.
Worked briefly for ASTRI, now with Handong Global University in Pohang, South Korea.
- Qi Li, visiting PhD student from Tsinghua University (Nov 2009 - June 2010). Co-authored some papers, now an Assistant Professor at Tsinghua/Shenzhen.
- Sid Chau, Postdoc from UCL and Cambridge Univ (Sept - December 2009). Co-authored work on Paris Metro Pricing; worked several years as a faculty at Masdar Institute in Abu Dhabi, now moved to Australian National University.
- Qing Lin Zhao, (Oct 2005 - Sept 2006). Joined Macau Univ of Science and Technology.
- Jia Qing Huang, Postdoc from Huazhong University (August - December 2005). Co-authored a
paper on network-coding and p2p networks. Currently an associate professor at Huazhong University.
MSc (or undergraduate*) students who worked with me on research projects
- Zhixiang Feng (2014-15) - Research topics clustering, as 2D map, now working at Tencent
- Xi Ji (2015-16) - News recommender system
- Catherine Xu (2015-16) - News recommender system
- Yizhen Cai (2016-17) - Panoramic video streaming, now working at China Mobile (HK)
- Shuyi Kong (2016-17) - Data analytics applied to traditional Chinese medicine, now working at China Telecom
- Cong Han (2016-17) - Author/university ranking using Spark platform
- Zhehao Jiang (2017-18) - Data analytics for Chinese Medicine, now PhD candidate at CUHK
- Hongwei Ma (2017-18) - Panoramic video streaming, now working for Microsoft in China
- Xinyu Hou (2017-18) - Text mining of user comments in e-commerce platform, now working at ByteDance
- Heng Cao (2017-18) - Studying different roles in online social media ecosystem
- Yaxu Dai, summer intern, IE undergrad (June-August 2016, also during 2016-17)
- Jiahui Zhou (visiting from Beida)
- Yao Fu, intern from Tsinghua University (July-August 2016)
- Qingyuan Liu, visiting Master student from HUST (June 2011 - Feb 2012)
- Song Lin, intern from Tsinghua University (June-August 2009).
- Ming Jiang Ye, intern from Tsinghua University (June-July 2008).
Other students who worked with me
- Calvin Cheung (2002-2004), co-supervised with Soung Liew
- Jenny Yu Zhang (2004-2005), quit w/o degree
- Bosco Fong (2008-2011), quit w/o degree